If you have never written a letter to the editor before, don’t worry. It’s easy. You don’t have to have any special knowledge of Ukraine or even of newspapers. It takes just a few minutes. It’s a very effective way to let your community and your elected representatives know you care about Ukraine.
Step 1 – Choose what newspaper you want to submit a letter to the editor to.
Step 2 – Check the submission instructions for that newspaper.
- What word count range does the newspaper accept? A good length to aim for is usually around 120-150 words.
- How does the newspaper receive letters to the editor? Most have a simple online form to fill out, while some take submissions via email.
- What personal information does the newspaper require for verification? Many newspapers require an address and telephone number. These aren’t published, but used to check that you are a real person from their area.
Step 3 – Write your letter. We have a template below you can use to get started. Simply copy & paste the text text below, personalize it with a few sentences of your own, add the names of your senators and representative, and submit it.
Sample LTE titles:
- When We Stand Up for Ukraine, We Are Standing Up for Democracy Everywhere
- When the U.S. Supports Ukraine, We Are Helping Ourselves
- The U.S. Must Remain the Global Leader for Freedom and Democracy
- Helping Ukraine defend itself is vital to future peace and prosperity in the US.
- Keep US soldiers from dying in foreign wars: help Ukraine stop Russia now.
- Americans thought liberty was worth fighting for 1776 – just like Ukrainians today.
- 80-90% of US military aid to Ukraine actually stays right here in America.
Sample letter to the editor to copy & paste and personalize:
America has long been a shining example of the good that comes from building a country based on freedom and democracy. People across the world who live under dictators have hope for a better future because Americans are strong and free.
We must continue our legacy of supporting freedom and democracy by supporting Ukraine. We cannot quit our Ukrainian friends in their time of need. Doing so would strengthen the enemies of freedom and democracy everywhere, especially in Russia, China and Iran.
Make no mistake, Putin will continue his deadly march of force and war crimes and try to seize NATO allies’ lands. He has said that Poland and Latvia are next after Ukraine. Every American must stand with Ukraine and our allies and say “Not on my watch!” Doing so checks Putin’s power and sends a powerful message to our adversaries. Dictators cannot bomb countries and their civilians into submission.
I urge senators _________ and __________ and Representative ___________ to support continued funding for Ukraine.
(your name here)